Friday, August 7, 2009

I SAID do I look fat in this?

The last time I wrote to you all on this matter, I made known my assumptions about the Kenyan culture and its relationships with this age old question. The conversation at the dinner table last night leads me to expand on and confirm my previous thoughts. After Irene inadvertently called me a pig after my second helping, their son pascal told me not to feel bad because his sister would be coming home tomorrow and she is bigger than me. He said that after watching her eat I won’t have to feel bad. I proceeded to tell them that you would never be able to call someone fat in America, they all thought this was very funny, and Corrine (Irene’s 20 year old daughter) added that if she runs into old school mates they have no problem telling her that she has gotten fat. Again I told them that in my house had my brother called me fat he would have been sent to his room or at least moderately lectured. I also shared with them that after a friend at home told me, “You should do a few sit ups, your future husband will thank me,” he promptly apologized the next day, again they laughed and said no one would ever apologize for such a thing. Eventually they concluded that said friend must be part Kenyan, but that I shouldn’t worry because “you’re not fat…but neither are you thin.”

2 comments:

  1. This made me laugh out loud very hard - I love the end, "you are not fat, but your are not thin" I wonder how many guys in the US could try and get away with that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these Kenyan people. They're honest and know nothing about political correctness or "common courtesy," which can often enough blind people from hearing things that they ought to hear.

    Oh yes. I really like these Kenyans.

    As for /looking/ fat? That's not the issue with me. It's whether your weight endangers your health and/or greatly minimizes your ability to accomplish everyday tasks that is what will bother me about one truly being over-weight.

    I mean, look at Connor - is he over-weight? By most standards, one might say, "Yes." But is he dying from it? Not yet. Can he accomplish everyday talks without difficulty? Yes. And, to add one to the list, can he be just as active and energized as a skinny person? Well, this guy was out running and playing glow-in-the-dark frisbee football too last I saw.

    - Kevin.

    ReplyDelete