Monday, July 13, 2009

A Car Ride's Worth of Thoughts

We are driving home at dusk, the smell is not exactly pleasant, a smoggy crossbreed of city and rural life, the blues and oranges of the sunset create a stark contrast to the browns and greys of the streets. The exotic acacia trees look like little paper cut outs, silhouetted against the darkening sky. Smiling to myself I take in a long breath, it feels like I’ve lived here for years, and yet lived but a few days because it seems just yesterday that we arrived. My experiences and emotions muddle together with as much contrast as the nature and city here, I can’t imagine living here but I can’t fathom leaving. I miss home at times but it lives only as the feigned scent of cheeseburgers passing by or the distant sound of a familiar friend’s laugh. I crave time to myself but find such rest in the community surrounding me.
I continue to stare out the window, the number of returning stares at the “mzungu” in the back seat (me) exists as the constant reminder of how far removed I am from the reality here. No matter how many times I walk through these streets I will never remained trapped like them, my big brass bed ever waits for me back in America. And yet I wonder, almost worry, that my queen sized bed back at home, framed by my walk in closet and entertainment unit, will trap me in a different way. That it will quietly and comfortably wrap me up in a blanket of apathy and forgotten lessons learned. We make our left turn onto the bumpy dirt road home, I honestly can’t remember the feel of smooth black pavement , no matter, this road is now my road home, and I smile as we empty from the car, kick of our shoes and make our way to our simple but welcoming rooms.
-Charlotte

1 comment:

  1. A very interesting perspective - we are praying for you and your team as part of our Sunday School class each week - hk

    ReplyDelete