Monday, July 13, 2009

Creepy Crawlers

Charlotte and I have had some fun critters visit us in our room. When we get home, we can post a video of us early on our first Sunday morning freaking out about this spider that had made its home on my shoe. I had pulled my shoe out from under my bed and was about to put it onto my foot when I saw this massive spider (massive is a relative term...it was probably about the size of a typical sink drain) crawling right for my fingers!!! So naturally, I did what any self-respecting, caught-off-her-guard-totally-unaware, female would do...I screamed and flung the shoe onto the floor all within about a millisecond of first spying the spider. Having scared Charlotte in my initial reaction, I told her that there was a spider on my shoe and so we decided to record the event before disposing of it. I emptied a mug and folded a piece of paper, fully intending to trap it and release it into the great outdoors. That didn't go so well. The spider was a very, very fast runner and was slightly too large for the mug to be an effective tool of capture. Ergo, the spider succeeded in earning a hiding space between the wall and the dresser. Corinne, the oldest daughter of our hosts, Chris and Irene, came in and used our Venus razor package to entrap the spider and then released it. We learned a couple valuable lessons from this: 1) the spider which was assaulting my shoe is a harmless but scary looking variety of spider. In the future, it is safe to even pick it up with your hands to return it to its natural habitat. 2) Always check your shoe before inserting your foot.
-Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Great story - believe it or not, there are spiders that big and larger within 5 miles of your home - check out the jumpoing tarantulas on the Santa Rosa Plateau when you return.

    ReplyDelete