Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day Two

I didn|t know we would have internet access again so I hadnt quite collected my thoughts but I will do my best to give you a bit more of an update.

I can hardly believe how much we saw and did just yesterday. By the time we got into bed last night it felt like the plane flight here was weeks ago! Upon arriving, Chris (The man we are staying with who runs First Love Kenya) brought us back to his house where his wife was waiting for us with a full breakfast, it was nice to eat a table instead of a fold out tray. We are so blessed to be staying in the home. We got a look around the house and backyard, said hello to the chickens and saw where we would be washing our clothes...by hand :)

Later we drove through the city on our way to visit the school the organization serves with. As we made our way through the bumpy streets I still couldnt grasp the fact I was in another country, and not only another country but finally on the continent my heart has been waiting to set foot on. Its still so sureal. When we arrived at the school the kids seemed shy...at first. I asked for a tour of the grounds and Bethany I were introduced to various classes, they asked a lot of questions two of which included whether we knew Michael Jackson or our govenator. Upon hearing I am studying to be a teacher, many of the kids asked if I was going to teach them, Chris later said that he would appreciate us helping the girls with their english, I am excited to see how it will all work. One girl asked me to help her with a math question, for those of you that know me at all, you can only assume that it ended up a rather embarrassing situation since I was really of quite little help. I have also realized yet aagin that my name is not an easy one and that "Charlie" will have to work for the next two months.

We later visited the Orphanage property in Karen that Firs Love has built. It is astounding! They have 22 girls living their right now and our working on building room for more. They have a woodshop to teach boys a trade who do not continue onto highschool. They are building more dormitories, a large dining hall, the have a small house for those working on the property as well an extensive garden for food and some swings for the girls. It is a beautiful project that I truly see God in. We are all looking foward to spending more time there.

I have not quite collected my thoughts and impressions on all that I have seen but I must point out one of the most obvious things I have noticed. The Kenyan people are incredibly welcoming and kind, I could not count the number of times I was told to feel at home in Kenya, and I do. I can't wait to share more with you all.
Blessings,
Charlotte

5 comments:

  1. Uh...I am bawling..I can't believe your there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, next time proof read your post, several grammatical errors =)
    On a more positive note, it's so awesome you're there, I love that they'll be calling you charlie. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Charlotte and I'm praying for you! You are so funny, and math isn't the easiest subject either! I know God is going to use you in mighty ways, and I can't wait to hear all about it!Love you
    Your Sis In Christ-Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. God told you long ago to follow His lead and you brought my relationship and trust in God to a point it had never been before. I love you and the work you are doing there in Kenya brings love and glory to God. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte and friends. I will pray for you and your ministry. I am very proud of you and your calling. Trust in The Lord, but wear sunblock.
    WEEMS, Visalia,CA

    ReplyDelete