Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Conversations I Had or Heard this Week...

“How do you feel about Muslims? Do you still like us?” asks a freshman girl with a white head covering. “Of course, we love you, Jesus loves you, why wouldn’t we?” I answer back. The four girls sitting next to us in the grass field smile back brilliantly and the conversation continues. “Since First love came to our school, we see Christians differently,” says 15 year old Ayesha…

· She pulls my arm a little closer to her chest and looks up at me, “My fatha die.” The little girl speaks very little English, what am I supposed to say, “I’m sorry, do you live with your mother?” I hug her tighter. “My motha die,” she stares at the ground and plays with my fingers. “I’m so sorry,” and I hug her again, “Who do you live with?” No answer, she doesn’t understand, she gives me a sad smile, and motions for me to come with her to get some water from the spickit…

· I am crying, its 11 o’ clock at night and the reality of the suffering I saw this week has hit me. I am taking quick short breaths attempting to control my breaking heart from overflowing into tears. “I just don’t understand, they are so strong, I am not strong, they have seen so much, how can I understand?” I say through the choking sobs. “Yes but do you see the hope in their eyes?” asks Rick. I nod my head, tears streaming, I just keep nodding my head.

· “I know God hasn’t forsaken them, I know God hasn’t forgotten them…but sometimes it feels like it. I know why suffering exits but right now I can’t find the answers good enough.”

“There’s never a good enough answer for why there is so much suffering…but then again there is never a good enough answer for why Christ died for us. “

· “We are friends, some people you can’t trust, some people you can’t tell your problems to, they will just laugh. But you, we can trust you guys, right? I know if I need to talk to someone I can tell you, I can come to you when I need someone. We are glad you are staying, we will remember you when you leave.” – freshmen girl talking to Bethany and I

· “What time do you have to be at school in the morning?” I curiously ask 17 year old Benjamin. “We get here about 6:45.” I gasp, “in the morning?” He laughs, “Yes, it’s not that early, but it is earlier for some of us, some of the kid’s moms are too old or weak, some of the kids have to wake everyone else up and get them ready, some of them have to wake up very early to make breakfast for their families or to sell.” …the next morning I bought mandazi (something like a small fried donut) from Benjamin who tried to sell it to the other students for 5 shillings, that’s about the equivalent of 7 cents…

1 comment:

  1. We operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; providing efficient, punctual, and reliable services that are always available whenever you need them wedding limo toronto.

    ReplyDelete